I hope this post finds you gearing up for the Halloween season! We made it to the halfway mark...FINALLY! To celebrate we have a guest post tonight from our friend, Marie, who will be describing the top 10 hero/villain costumes for this year! I would like to thank Marie for her article and I encourage our readers to leave comments either here or on our Facebook page letting us know what you think! With that being said, here's Marie!
Top 10 Hero/Villain Costumes of 2013
This year is sure to be an exciting one for fans of some our most classic superheroes and villains. Whether you are looking at costumes for Halloween or just looking to dress up on premiere nights, 2013 will have plenty of characters that will be popular and fresh in our minds from now until October. Here are ten character costumes that are sure to be on display this Halloween and a few that may be spotted at your local theater over the next few months.
1. Katniss: The “Hunger Games” heroine returns this fall in “Catching Fire”, the second movie in the ever-popular trilogy. The newer movie has her doing most of her action in a wetsuit which is simple enough to get a hold of. The bow and arrows probably won’t be too welcome is you’re attending the premiere but are essential props for Halloween. If you prefer the classic gear of her in her “Game” issued jacket, pants and boots that would probably work better if you’re dressing up for premiere night. If you want you can get creative with the bow on Halloween by building them out of household objects like a small bungee cord and hula hoop cut in half. Duct tape on the ends of plastic arrows works really well if you’re trying to get someone’s attention.
2. Iron Man: Tony Stark is back for the final chapter in the “Iron Man” trilogy. There are so many ways you can sport this outfit that you really only need to worry about the proper mask. The red, white, and blue outfit will probably be more popular this year as this one is featured in the newest movie but the classic red and gold is always a fun option. A fun thing to do is buy the costume and then put strapped headlights around your hands to imitate his energy blasts.
3. Viper: An X-Men villain set to appear later in “The Wolverine”, Viper is a cool choice for the ladies this Halloween. Green is the only essential element for this costume so feel free to put in the hair, on the lips, and even some eye shadow. Spandex and leather are ideal for the adult women but the younger crowd can also enjoy sporting this outfit with a pair of green athletic sweats and a tank top with arm warmers.
5. Black Widow: The popular “Avengers” heroine will make appearances in both “Iron Man 3” and “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” this year. The athletic S.H.I.E.L.D. assassin is always a fun choice for the superhero loving ladies. Plastic pistol holsters and red hair are the main essential additives to this all black attired costume but many places probably have the prop weapons with the costume.
6. Loki: Thor’s brother and on and off nemesis is a good pairing for someone who has a brother going as Thor or is part of a group dressing up as the Avengers. Sleeked black hair, long or short, works for this villain and usually has the helmet and scepter to go with the costume but can always be modified to your liking.
7. Falcon: The first African-American superhero of mainstream comics will definitely be sported this year as this character is featured in “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” later this year. The red and white costume and nature of the character lends itself well to sporting an old pair of red sneakers. An awesome idea would be to bust out some vintage red “Air Jordans”.
8. Bucky/Winter Soldier: Captain America’s old pal Bucky returns later this year in his own upgraded gear as a brainwashed assassin. Black combat boots might be needed to go with this costume and you can always use your own choice of prop gun like a nerf or water gun. This is another good option for someone looking to dress with an Avengers or Marvel group of friends.
9. “300” Soldiers: The Spartans return later this year to take on Xerxes in the battle at Sea around the same time of King Leonidas’ battle at Thermopylae. Guys and girls can both enthusiastically sport the classic Greek attire if not the Spartan warrior gear this Halloween. These costumes generally are more appropriate for adults so if you’re going to dress up for the premiere it’s better to go with the white Greek robes and save the capes, spears, and speedos for the private Halloween party.
10. Superman: Honestly, who isn’t excited for the revamped “Man of Steel” franchise? Clark Kent will be everywhere this October and this summer when Superman returns to movie theaters. This is one of the most classic costumes that will once again be trending this year so feel free to add customizations to make your costume unique. Go all out and wear the professional Clark Kent clothes over the classic costume to the Halloween party and rock the superhero suit when you get inside.
Marie Sumner is an avid cosplayer and passionate writer who owns more superhero movies and comic books than anyone should be allowed to. She writes for wholesalehalloweencostumes.com which gives her an excuse to talk about comics, movies, and different types of outfits all day.